AmeriCorps is an 11-month service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Youth Policy Institute partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in our schools across Los Angeles. Supporting education, YPI AmeriCorps (LA Promise Corps) members dedicate 1700 hours of volunteer service per term in exchange for leadership and career development and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov.
Overview The Promise Corps Member will serve full time (completing 1700 hours of service) over the course of 11 months, providing targeted interventions to students in our Los Angeles schools. The Promise Corps Program mobilizes and trains volunteers to support children and communities in academic conditions that often lack quality resources and/or programs. It is important to YPI that we equip our members with the right resources that allow volunteers, parents, and teachers to collaborate on effective interventions that make a positive impact on student success.
The Promise Corps members will work with students in grades 3-11, who have been identified as needing support in ELA or Math. Each member will be assigned a host school and will work within the classroom to provide 1:1 and small group tutoring to up to 4 students per class. The members may also provide targeted before school and after school tutoring for students who are behind in their course work.
● Provide in-school tutoring to improve students’ academic engagement and performance in either Math or ELA
● Work with up to 45 students through the school day, providing 1:1 and 1:2 tutoring in the classroom alongside the teacher
● Collaborate with school staff and teachers to design and implement tutoring plans for individual students
● Provide ongoing tutoring based on school site needs
● Administer diagnostic assessments to identify student skill level and track progress
● Maintain student information and service hour records by tracking and entering information on our online database and by regularly completing and turning in paperwork
● Run dynamic after school enrichment programming designed around core subject material
● Lead morning programming for students, designed around student proficiency in core subjects, geared toward helping students succeed in school Relationship Building
● Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right interventions for individual students
● Facilitate communication and maintain positive relationships among other Promise Corps Members, YPI Staff, teachers, students’ families, and community partners
● Participate in school events, celebrations, and staff meetings
Other duties including but not limited to;
● Participate in local recruitment events and fairs to spread awareness of Promise Corps Program
● Service project development
● Participation in member development (included but not limited to trainings, professional development, workshops)
● Participation in national days of service as required by AmeriCorps (included but not limited to MLK Day, Cesar Chavez Day, 9/11, AmeriCorps Week)
● Complete 1700 national service hours over 10 months
● Attend a "Swearing in" and "Graduation" Ceremony
● Maintain a commitment to understanding the Promise Corps program model, and current educational best practices
● Be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma, and possess US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
● Pass Tuberculosis Skin Test
● Clear a National Criminal History Check, California Criminal History Check, Criminal History Check in your current state of residence (if different than California), and National Sex Offender Registry check
● Served less than 4 terms of any length in another AmeriCorps State or National Program
● AmeriCorps, Peace Corp or other national service experience
● Have experience volunteering with other community based or education programs
● Commitment to YPI / Promise Corps mission and vision
● Interest in working with school-age children and teens
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Proven ability to manage tasks and schedule independently
● Demonstrated success with constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents)
● Flexibility and adaptability to manage tasks in a fluid and ambiguous environment
● Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region
● Experience in tutoring
● Experience working with diverse communities
● Bachelor’s degree or some college preferred
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As an AmeriCorps member, you will serve your community through YPI’s Promise Corps and receive a modest living stipend of at least $12,000 during your term (dispersed in bi-weekly paychecks), as well as health benefits. Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forebearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps Members will have an allotment of personal days throughout the year.
Additionally, at the successful completion of your service term, you are eligible for an education award of approximately $5,775 to be used for college, trade school or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. For more information, please visitwww.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
SCHEDULE Monday through Friday 10-12 hours a day depending on the school bell schedule, ranging anywhere between 6:00am-7:00pm. Additional evening and weekend hours as needed.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- 11 months