Want to i nspire confidence, perseverance, innovation, and a sense of belonging in children with technology?
Volunteers, or "Gurus", will help facilitate a computer science program, CSfirst, for students grades 4-8. They will be directly assisting and interacting with children. However, volunteers are not required to teach students how to code.
Our mission is to expose youth to computer science through a Google developed program called CSfirst. Targeting underrepresented populations.
CSfirst will present children with a fun and educational way of coding through interacting with Scratch, a drag-and-drop coding online program developed by MIT. By the end of the program, our goal is to get kids excited about programming by show them how easy it is, and how many different facets there are to coding.
- 9 in 10 parents want their students to study computer science, but only 1 in 4 schools teach computer programming
- Computing jobs are the #1 sources of new wages in the United States
- starting salaries of college graduates for computer science majors are 40% higher then those for other majors
- Child Development
- Basic Computer Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Computer Science
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10 weeks 1.5 hours a week (flexible)
- Power Hour Homework Smasher!!!
- Got a green thumb? Teach...
- Google Code Corps Guru
- Stipe Elementary School...
- Full STEAM Ahead! Computer &...
- Have a passion for ART or MUSIC?...
- Yoga Instructor for Kids
- Play Ball! Assist in Sports &...
- Volunteer as a one-to-one tutor...
- Arts & Cultural Enrichment
- Education & Career Development...
- Dance Coach