Serve as a Board Member of "Steps of Love" and help transform the lives of children in Mexico
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereArizona and Sonoyta, MexicoOur US Team is located in different parts of AZWe meet every two months around the Phoenix areaGilbert, AZ 85296
Founded in 2012 and based in Arizona, Steps of Love is a 501(c)(3) non-profit focused on supporting vulnerable children in border communities of Mexico (Sonoyta and Rocky Point) by partnering with community-sponsored programs. The resources are primarily devoted to the well-being of children: including physical and emotional health, educational advancement, and the building of self-image & confidence.
Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as making sure the nonprofit has adequate resources to advance its mission.
Ten Basic Responsibilities of Board Members
- Determine mission and purpose. It is the board's responsibility to create and review a statement of mission and purpose that articulates the organization's goals, means, and primary constituents served.
- Select the chief executive. Boards must reach consensus on the chief executive's responsibilities and undertake a careful search to find the most qualified individual for the position.
- Support and evaluate the chief executive. The board should ensure that the chief executive has the moral and professional support he or she needs to further the goals of the organization.
- Ensure effective planning. Boards must actively participate in an overall planning process and assist in implementing and monitoring the plan's goals.
- Monitor and strengthen programs and services. The board's responsibility is to determine which programs are consistent with the organization's mission and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ensure adequate financial resources. One of the board's foremost responsibilities is to secure adequate resources for the organization to fulfill its mission.
- Protect assets and provide proper financial oversight. The board must assist in developing the annual budget and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
- Build a competent board. All boards have a responsibility to articulate prerequisites for candidates, orient new members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity. The board is ultimately responsible for adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
- Enhance the organization's public standing. The board should clearly articulate the organization's mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public and garner support from the community.
- Excellent team building experience
- Excellent organizational & planning skills
- Leadership experience at an executive level
- Spanish speaker preferred
- Familiarity with Mexican culture preferred
To apply please send your resume and an email stating your motivation for joining this board to email@example.com
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Business Planning
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 3 years minimum as member of the Board