This project began as a three year restoration & grant partnership between Kualoa Ranch and Hui o Ko'olaupoko . Although the grant period has ended, maintenance and continued outplanting of the project is critical to its success. The goals of the project include reducing sediment entering Hakipuu Stream and Kane'ohe Bay and increasing habitat for native aquatic species such as opae kala'ole and 'o'opu.
Volunteers will be involved in clearing invasive plant species from the semi-remote mauka spring and stream area using handsaws and hand pulling small weeds as well as planting native species and maintaining a small lo'i within the project.
Space for this workday is limited---PLEASE RSVP to reserve your spot and receive directions to the meeting location. RSVP to Kristen Nalani Mailheau 381-7202, email@example.com . Let us know if you need to cancel.
- An easy 15 minute hike into the valley is required to reach the semi-remote worksite and
- Volunteers will not be allowed to hike in or leave the worksite apart from the main group, so please be on time.
- No restroom facilities are available at the work site so make sure you 'go' at the meeting location.
- Closed-toe shoes are required, long pants and a long sleeve shirt are recommended to help fend off mosquitoes.
- Please wear clothes and shoes you don't mind getting wet & muddy.
- Bring a water bottle, snack, work gloves and bug spray.
- Participants under age 16 must have adult supervision.
- Participants under the age of 18, attending without their parent or legal guardian must bring the signed waiver .
Hakipu'u work days for 2016 will be held on the 4 th Saturday of each month 9am-12pm
The dates for the rest of the year are: Nov. 26. There will be no workday in December.
Our community workdays and volunteer events happen rain or shine! In the rare event that we would need to cancel a workday due to unsafe weather conditions, we will update our Facebook Page with the event status no later than one hour prior the scheduled start time.
Space for this workday is limited---PLEASE RSVP to reserve your spot and receive directions to the meeting location. RSVP to Kristen Nalani Mailheau 381-7202, firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know if you need to cancel.
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment