TITLE: Development Intern
ORGANIZATION: Daly City Youth Health Center/Jefferson Union High School District
REPORTS TO: Development Coordinator of Daly City Youth Health Center
HOURS: Minimum of 10 - 15 hours a week for 5 to 6 months (August - December 2016)
The Daly City Youth Health Center believes in the potential of all young people, and with a little help and guidance, they can make smart decisions that set them on track for a healthy and productive life. Young people today are dealing with tough problems including pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections, substance abuse, stress, bullying and even suicide. The risk is greater in northern San Mateo County where at least a third of our young people live in poverty and many are immigrants facing language and cultural barriers. Many don’t know where to get the help and support they need.
For 26 years Daly City Youth Health Center has prepared our communities’ teens and young adults for a healthy and productive adulthood. The Health Center is a school-linked program of the Jefferson Union High School District in collaboration with a medical clinic operated by the San Mateo Medical Center. The Health Center provides free, confidential and culturally sensitive primary medical care, mental health counseling, health and career education to adolescents aged 12-24 years of age.
We are looking for a Development Intern to assist in logistical preparations for special campaigns, updating the database, and day-to-day operations that support fund generation and event marketing for the organization. The intern will gain relevant experiences in research and fundraising, events management, and using eTapestry database. The intern will directly report to the Development Coordinator for task assignments and feedback.
- Research on potential sources of funds for programs
- Provide assistance in printing and mailing of year end solicitation letters
- Provide assistance in preparing and sending donation requests online and by mail
- Follow-up phone calls to potential in-kind donors for special events
- Assist with the preparation and submission of grant reports and proposals
- Perform administrative duties such as printing of proposal documents, reproduction of event materials, organizing of development files, and other functions as needed
- In process of obtaining Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Marketing, Community Development, or related field
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Strong writing and research skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience in using Microsoft Publisher is a plus
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Desire to learn fundraising and event planning
- Passion for helping youth from low-income communities
- Open to feedback with a strong desire to learn development in the nonprofit sector
DURATION AND COMPENSATION:
This internship requires a minimum commitment of 10 - 15 hours a week for 5 - 6 months with a possibility of extension. We will provide a small stipend to the successful candidate.
Please submit resume with a cover letter explaining your interest to the position to email@example.com. If accepted, the intern will be required to undergo TB test clearance and Livescan fingerprinting before the start of internship period. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- People Skills
- Grant Writing / Research
- Event Planning / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 - 15 hours a week for 5 - 6 months
- If accepted, the intern will be required to undergo TB test clearance and Livescan fingerprinting