Season: All Year Round
Location: Nyanza and Western regions, Kenya
Hours needed: week days (Monday-Friday) 5-8hrs/day
RHD is associated with many selfless programs in Nyanza region in support of the commendable services the staff in trying to transform the lives of destitute children and orphans living in orphanages and children homes.
The children who reside in these homes have lost their families, or have relatives who are not able to fully take care of them due to extreme poverty. The homes provide meals, shelter, clothing and education for these orphans with the help of the community and volunteers. These schools struggle to provide a decent education to children living in rural communities and Kisumu slums, but are severely under-resourced, understaffed and often face other problems such as poor sanitation and dilapidated structures.
Orphans and vulnerable children living in the various orphanages and children’s homes supported by RHD, range from 1 - 18 years of age. They often come from backgrounds that have been affected by HIV/AIDS, abuse, poverty, and illness.
These children are in need of care, attention and education and many of them are developmentally challenged and need additional consideration in order to promote their development.
You will be immersed into a new culture and way of life as you gain experience from working in an environment with minimal resources, equipments and shortage of staff. Yet, you will also experience the joy and warmth of the Kenyan people, encounter amazing Kenyan wildlife and learn about yourself.
Extra hands are in demand in order to continue providing proper care for these children.
Volunteers at these homes will join local staff in:
* Showing love and affection to the children in which they need most
* Helping out with housekeeping, cooking, and serving food
* Assisting with administrative work
* Helping the children with homework
* Organizing creative form activities such as games, dance, art, music, games and sports
* Educating about personal hygiene
* Give information, counseling and advice
* Support in teaching English and other subjects
* Provide practical help such as gardening, driving, baby-sitting, or painting and decorating
* Assisting in orphanage dispensary and helping to look after the children who are ill.
* At least high-school
* Should be fluent in English
* Should have a passport
* Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
* Counseling skills
* Teaching skills
* Teamwork skills
* Sport skills
* Ability to exercise a high level of tact and discretion in both internal and external interactions
* Ability to create and maintain good working relationship with a variety of people
* Ability to motivate and lead a team and work as a team member
* Respectful of privacy and feelings of others
* Dependable and trustworthy
* Warmth and caring.
- Cooking / Catering
- Child Welfare
- Special Needs
- Child Care
- Sports Coaching
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hours/ day
- Visa, traveling passport, insurance and air ticket