Education - Teaching Volunteer in rural schools (Secondary/ Primary Schools)
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereMakogilo Road, Off Kisumu Northern Bypass, Kisumu,Box 10958-00400 Nairobi, KenyaKisumu, Nayanza 00254KE
Season: All Year Round (January- April, May- August, September- November)
Location: Nyanza and Western regions, Kenya
Hours needed: week days (Monday-Friday) 5-8hrs/day
Many rural primary and secondary schools in Nyanza, Kenya has been facing a number of challenges such as provision of quality education, inadequate teaching facilities, lack of teachers or unmotivated teachers, lack of teaching guides to help the children study and poor school infrastructure that sometimes do not provide ample academic environment.
Today, most schools in Nyanza region have high enrolment without adequate classrooms, teachers and learning materials. The classrooms are overcrowded; hence, most children do not get enough attention from teachers.
Our Teaching volunteer program is based in and around the Nyanza and Western regions. Volunteers will be placed in public, private schools and children centers, where the presence of volunteers is beneficial in opening the minds and broadening the horizons of pupils and students.
In Kenya, the school year calendar is broken into three terms and there are breaks between these terms for the entire months of April, August and December.
Volunteers are needed by RHD to join Primary or Secondary schools in Nyanza and Western regions, Kenya that is partner of RHD to assist the local staff in the following activities:
- Teaching one or more of the following subjects: English, Math, Science, Geography, Biology, Business Studies, Computer, Agriculture, Chemistry, Social Studies etc
- Developing new teaching materials
- Organizing recreational activities for students, such as soccer, netball, basketball, volleyball, music, dance, drama, choir, boy/girl scouts etc
- Promoting HIV/AIDS education
- Providing counseling, tutoring, mentorship, life skills etc to primary school children who have been orphaned-and are at severe risk of dropping out of school.
* Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
* ICT skills
* Research skills
* Group/ classroom management skills
* Ability to stand in front of people/ class for long hours
* Ability to exercise a high level of tact and discretion in both internal and external interactions.
* Ability to create and maintain good working relationship with a variety of people.
* Ability to motivate and lead a team and work as a team member.
* Respectful of privacy and feelings of others.
* Dependable and trustworthy.
* Warmth and caring.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hours per day (only week days)
- Traveling passport, Air Ticket, Visa and Insurance