Reading skills are a key indicator of future success. Yet more than 50% of the students in the Alum Rock Union Elementary School District are not reading proficiently.
You can help!
Become a reading mentor for two K-1st grade students at Dorsa or San Antonio Elementary Schools in San Jose, CA. Your commitment of just 1 hour per week will:
- Improve their reading readiness
- Increase their confidence and self-esteem
- Instill in them a love of learning
- Complete and submit a YWCR Volunteer Application
- Commit to mentor 12 or more reading sessions per semester
- Provide a negative Tuberculosis (TB) Test
- Pass LiveScan fingerprinting and background investigation through Santa Clara County’s Sherriff’s Department
- Attend a scheduled reading mentor orientation session
If you are interested in our program or would love to receive more information, please contact our Family Literacy Coordinator, Keishla Echevarría, at email@example.com.
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week, 12 weeks in a semester