KickStart is currently looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, detail-oriented, part-time intern with a genuine interest in fundraising to be based in New York City. The intern will work closely with KickStart’s Development Associate on various development and communications projects, including prospect research, data management, social media, and event planning. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a unique non-profit focused on international development, sharpen your research skills, and learn about fundraising.
KickStart is a non-profit social enterprise with a mission to lift millions of people in Africa out of poverty, quickly, cost-effectively and sustainably. KickStart works by designing very low micro-irrigation pumps, and mass marketing them to very poor, but entrepreneurial African men and women, who buy them and use them to establish profitable small-scale family businesses.
To date, over 200,000 families in Africa have created profitable farming businesses, lifting more than one million people out of poverty, and generating more than $170 Million in new profits and wages each year.
KickStart has been recognized and has won many international prizes/accolades. Some of these include:
- Awarded the 1 st ever U.S. State Department’s Secretary’s Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women & Girls, 2012
- Ranked #64 by the Global Journal "Top 100 Best NGOs in the World", 2012
- Named one of Forbes 2011 "30 Top Social Entrepreneurs"
- The Lemelson-MIT Prize for Sustainability, 2008
- The Peter F. Drucker Award for NonProfit Innovation, 2008
- Fast Company Magazine’s 'Social Capitalist’ Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
The ideal candidate would be enthusiastic, project oriented, computer savvy, and possess a genuine interest in learning about non-profit development. You will be working with a fast-paced team with a collective passion to alleviate poverty in Africa, enabling you to acquire tangible skills and learn about the social enterprise space. The intern will:
- Research potential corporate and foundation funding sources
- Develop profiles and provide detailed research on prospective high-net-worth donors
- Update and maintain KickStart’s prospect research tracking tools
- Become familiar with KickStart’s online donor database (including accounts and queries) and assist with data entry
- Gain a good understanding of various research tools including, The Foundation Directory Online, and WealthEngine
- Assist in preparing communications, including social media posts and case studies
- Support the coordination of fundraising appeals and campaigns
- Assist in planning special events, including 25 th Anniversary celebrations and panel discussions
- Perform other responsibilities as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and familiarity with online research tools preferred
- Internet savvy and eager to learn new research skills
- Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Emotional maturity and a good sense of humor
- Familiarity with the international development space and interest in fundraising
- Commitment to KickStart’s mission, purpose and values, and to its methodology, history, culture, programs and constituencies
The position is unpaid, but academic credit is available. Hours are flexible to your schedule, with a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Research Intern" by September 30, 2016.
- Donor Management
- Customer Acquisition
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 15 hours per week