Position* Science Center volunteers are outgoing volunteer representatives who facilitate conversations with our visitors. They provide visitors with Center information and help plan their visit. They are responsible for setting a helpful and welcoming tone. These volunteers provide friendly, professional assistance to Chabot visitors.
- Welcomes and provides new visitors with all of the possible information they will need to navigate the center ?
- Provides visitors with Planetarium and Megadome show times and descriptions of each show ?
- Provides maps and wayfinding on how to get to any area of the center ?
- Provides information and descriptions of all of our programs, future program dates, Docent tours, and how to sign up
- Provides information on all of our special events and closures, including First Friday and how to navigate them
- Inform guests on whether the telescopes are currently viewing and what they’re looking at
- Role will help to reduce the amount load the front desk takes during busy days.
- One Mentor session for Center overview and one session with an experienced concierge
- Introduction to Front of House staff and floor managers
- Self-guided center, exhibit and safety orientation, worksheets #1-3
- Thorough review of the Volunteer Handbook, Chabot website and volunteer website
- Preview theater shows for reference
- Enrichment Speakers (optional monthly educational workshops and lectures)
- Resources: 1) FAQ 2) Visitor Guide 3) Membership Info and Perks 4) Website 5) Concierge binder at guest services desk
Requirements and Qualifications
- Outgoing, friendly, welcoming and comfortable working with the public of all ages
- Enjoy initiating conversation and approaching people in a positive and enthusiastic manner
- Problem solving skills, self-starter, ability to handle most customer service situations in a satisfactory manner
- Awareness and sensitivity in interacting with diverse populations
- Actively promote Chabot’s mission and be a champion of the volunteer community
- Self-directed and committed to assisting with a variety of needs
- Always offer excellent customer service to our visitors. They are our GUESTS.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours each month for one year