Purpose of position:
The Housing intern assists the Housing Search Coordinator and Advocacy team by helping guests reach their housing search goals. Activities include researching and organizing housing opportunities, helping guests complete applications, and accompanying guests to Boston Housing Authority on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings.
The intern’s role is to:
- Familiarize oneself with the fundamentals of the different types of affordable housing.
- Hold walk-in hours to assist guests in filling out housing applications.
- Obtain guest’s five-year housing history to help them with the application process.
- Accompany guests to the Boston Housing Authority weekly to help guests receive applications.
- Assist guests complete the BHA application once they have received it.
- Outreach to guests who need housing help in the WLP dining room for walk-in hours.
- Promptly record accurate/professional meeting notes and information in Advocacy database.
- Assist the Housing Search Coordinator with various housing projects.
- Connect oneself with different housing resources around the Boston area.
- Develop/maintain relationships with other providers and stay abreast of changes in programs.
- Attend housing workshops and other housing meetings.
- Update and maintain the database of current housing openings.
- Help the Resource Center maintain an up-to-date housing board for guests.
- Organize and execute possible independent projects regarding affordable housing.
- Enrolled in accredited undergraduate college or university
- Interested in women’s issues surrounding poverty and housing access
- Ability to learn and work quickly and take initiative
- Ability to set limits in a firm and respectful manner
- Ability to understand and translate complex housing info into simple and clear language
- Ability to respond to/prioritize multiple housing requests for assistance and remain organized
- Comfort working with people who are low income, homeless, mentally ill, marginalized
- Clear and effective professional writing skills
- Positive, respectful, non-judgmental attitude
- Good sense of humor
- Commitment to a team approach of working with staff members, volunteers, and guests
- Language skills (particularly Spanish and Haitian-Creole) are a plus
- Experience in housing and/or mental health advocacy preferred
Physical/emotional demands of position:
- Must be able to stand for at least 20 minutes and sit for 45 minutes
- Able to utilize a computer and phone
- Able to professionally navigate emotionally charged situations
- 12-16 hours weekly, at least one Tuesday or Wednesday morning a week (remaining times negotiable)
Training and Support:
- WLP Advocacy training guide
- Observing and participating in advocacy meetings
- Weekly supervision with Housing Search Coordinator
- Monthly team meeting and/or group supervision when offered
The internship benefits the intern by providing opportunities to:
- Gain valuable human service experience
- Make a direct impact in the lives of guests who need housing
- Develop assessment, counseling, and advocacy skills with a diverse population
- Meet for regular supervision and mentoring
- Learn about services and agencies that help people who are low income in greater Boston
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- ideally 8-16 hours per week
- see description