Have a Passion for Food and Nutrition?
DONATE TO THIS
41 people are interested
Who we are:
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters empowers families with the skills to stretch their food budgets so children get healthy meals at home. Cooking Matters MA envisions a future in which all Massachusetts children have the nutritious foods they need to grow, learn, and thrive, and all parents and caregivers have the knowledge and skills to prepare delicious, balanced meals.
What we do:
Cooking Matters MA partners with community organizations and volunteer culinary and nutrition instructors to offer six-week cooking courses and one-time grocery store tours to participants. Our participants are a diverse population of families, many of whom are enrolled in federal assistance programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) and Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). Through Cooking Matters programming, participants learn to shop smarter, use nutrition information to make healthier choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals.
- 3 hour commitment per week for a six week course
- Courses are held state-wide at community organizations
- Courses are scheduled Monday-Friday, between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM
- Instructors combine their own knowledge and experience with the lesson plans provided
- Culinary Instructors - are usually culinary school graduates, currently enrolled in a culinary training program, have at least two years working as a cook or a chef, or are very confident as a home cook.
- Class Assistants - help before, during and after classes. Duties may include shopping for food, handing out materials, engaging participants, set up and clean up.
- Nutrition Instructors - are typically graduates of or enrolled in dietetics programs or have at least two years working in a nutrition or dietetics position.
Learn More about our programming by visiting our website, emailing us at CookingMattersMA@strength.org or siging up for an upcoming training. Training dates available at ma.cookingmatters.org/events
We'll work with your schedule.
383 Dorchester AveBoston, MA 02127
- Cooking / Catering
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Three hours a week for six weeks