Who we are:
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters empowers low-income families with the skills to stretch their food budgets so their children get healthy meals at home, as part of the No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in America. Participants learn to shop smarter, use nutrition information to make healthier choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals. Cooking Matters helps families maximize the benefits they receive through federal nutrition programs like SNAP (food stamps) and WIC (Women, Infants and Children). To learn more, visit http://cookingmatters.org/.
What we do:
Cooking Matters Massachusetts volunteers make a positive impact in the community and help end childhood hunger in America. Through six-week, interactive cooking courses, they empower families at risk of hunger with the skills and confidence to prepare healthy, affordable meals.
- 3 hour commitment per week for a six week course
- Courses are held state-wide at community organizations
- Courses are scheduled Monday-Friday, between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM
- Instructors combine their own knowledge and experience with the lesson plans provided
- Culinary Instructors - are usually culinary school graduates, currently enrolled in a culinary training program, have at least two years working as a cook or a chef, or are very confident as a home cook.
- Class Assistants - help before, during and after classes. Duties may include shopping for food, handing out materials, engaging participants, set up and clean up.
- Nutrition Instructors - are typically graduates of or enrolled in dietetics programs or have at least two years working in a nutrition or dietetics position.
Learn More about our programming by visiting our website, emailing us at CookingMattersMA@strength.org or siging up for an upcoming training. Training dates available at ma.cookingmatters.org/events
- Cooking / Catering
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Three hours a week for six weeks