Jewish Family Service (JFS) is a premiere social service agency with over 50 programs and services open to the entire community.Volunteershelp us serve over 30,000 individuals each year!
Title/Position: Citizenship Tutor
Program: The Immigration Program atJewish Family Service offers Citizenship and Naturalization Services to lawful permanent residents throughout San Diego County. JFS staff completes and sends the N-400 (application for Citizenship) or N-600 (application for Citizen Certification) and offers classes to assist applicants prepare for the Citizenship Interview, English, and Civics tests.
Goal of Position: Applicants are tested on their knowledge of U.S. history and civics and their ability to read, write, and speak in English. Tutors are needed to support a student enrolled in citizenship classes by providing extra instruction and one-on-one tutoring for the Citizenship Test and Interview.
- Equip students with the skills to pass the civics and literacy portion of the Citizenship Test
- Gain valuable experience teaching non-English speaking refugees
- Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
- Meet with students on a weekly basis
- Work through Citizenship Materials and assist with Interview Preparation
- Must be compassionate, caring, and culturally sensitive
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Must be considerate and patient with English language learners
- Previous tutoring experience preferred
- No prior knowledge of the test is required
- Must be at least 18 years of age or else minor must be accompanied by an adult
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Refugee and Immigration Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend a JFS orientation with the Refugee and Immigration Volunteer Coordinator
- Must provide own transportation to site visits
- Submit to an online background check at VerifiedVolunteers.com
- Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign privacy & confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to provide tutoring sessions for 2-3 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. Scheduling is coordinated between the volunteer and student
Various - Mostly City Heights, National City or El Cajon neighborhoods
JFS, Immigration Services Program
8788 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Immediate Supervisor: Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator; Citizenship Instructor
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 Hours/week for 3 months
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- On the Go Administrative Assistant
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant