Come join us for a rewarding experience!
Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. No matter what your interests are, we have an opportunity for you. Throughout the year we host fund-raising events and activities that bring people together to socialize and have fun all while making a difference in the lives of those with CF.
Some of the opportunities include walks, golf tournaments, galas; stair climb & cycle event, as well as office support is needed.
Cystic Fibrosis Facts
- CF is an inherited, life-threatening disease that affects the lungs and digestive systems of about 30,000 children and adults in the US.
- People with CF have two copies of a defective gene that causes the body to produce abnormally thick, sticky mucus, which clogs the lungs and can result in fatal lung infections.
- The mucus also obstructs the pancreas, causing difficulty with absorbing nutrients in food.
- In 1955 people born with CF were not expected to live long enough to attend elementary school. Today, the predicted median age of survival for someone with the disease is 37 years.
Top 5 Reasons to Support Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- The Foundation is efficient. The foundation is one of the most efficient organizations of its kind, with nearly 90 cents of every dollar raised available for investment in vital CF research, care and education programs.
- The Foundation is innovative. The Foundation invests more money in drug discovery and development than any other disease foundation in the country. Forbes, Business Week, USA Today and Newsweek have recognized the Foundation's innovative approach to research, and its venture philanthropy business model is the subject of two Harvard Business School case studies.
- The Foundation is accountable. In 2009, the Foundation achieved the coveted four-star rating for sound fiscal management from Charity Navigator, the largest independent charity evaluator in the US. The Foundation also is an accredited charity of the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, meeting all of its Standards for Charitable Accountability.
- The Foundation is forward thinking. To supplement contributions raised by its dynamic agenda of GREAT STRIDES and special fund-raising events, the Foundation's Milestones to a Cure Campaign was launched to raise $175 million by 2010. To date, Milestones has raised $126 million to support critical therapeutics development.
- The Foundation is making a difference. Today, more than 44 percent of all people with CF are age 18 or older, thanks to wise investments made by the Foundation in research and comprehensive care. To ensure excellent care, the Foundation has implemented a quality improvement program and its nationwide network of 113 CF care centers. In addition, the Foundation has launched the Program for Adult Care Excellence (PACE), a $5-million initiative to enhance care for adults with CF.
To continue to combat this orphan disease, we need to expand support and ensure critical research continues.
Together, we can build hope and add tomorrows every day for those with CF.
Volunteer opportunities are available in the following cities:
Chapel Hill - February 22, 2015 - An Evening with Master Chefs, Carolina Club (Gala)
Wilmington - July 11, 2015 - Pipeline to a Cure - Country Club at Landfall (Gala)
Greensboro - NEW Summer 2015 - Triad Gala
Raleigh - NEW Fall 2015 - Kick-Off For A Cure - Tailgate/Watch Event for NCSCU
Greensboro - September 10, 2015 - DH Griffin Golf Classic, Grandover Resort
Angier - September 26. 2015 - CF Cycle for Life, Gregory's Vineyard
Hanging Rock State Park - October 16-18, 2015 - Xtreme Hike
Raleigh - November 20, 2015 - Top of the Triangle Brewers Ball Finale
Great Strides walks:
**Even if the walk date has passed, there are still opportunities to get involved!
5/16 Apex, Credit Suisse RTP Campus
5/16 Cary, Credit Suisse RTP Campus
4/11 Chapel Hill, Community Center Park
4/11 Durham, Duke University East Campus
4/26 Elizabeth City, Great Dismal Swamp Park
5/2 Greensboro/High Point, 4100 Mendenhall Oaks Pkwy
NEW! March Greenville, To Be Determined
9/12 Outer Banks, Dare County Family Recreation Center
5/16 Raleigh, Halifax Mall (Downtown)
4/26 Sanford, Kiwanis Family Picnic Shelter
4/26 Winston-Salem, Wake Forest University, Davis Field
5/2 Wilmington, Mayfaire Town Center
Visit www.cffcarolinas.org for more information.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Volunteer Application