Irvine’s Animal Care and Exhibits Coordinator is primarily responsible for overseeing the care and maintenance of our education/exhibit animals (reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, mammals, and birds of prey) and interactive exhibits. As an intern, you would be assisting the Coordinator in the daily duties of the position, including but not limited to:
- Feed animals daily
- Keep exhibit enclosures presentable to the public
- Maintenance of lighting, filters and pumps
- Upkeep of live plants in exhibits
- Keep daily logs of animal feeding, cleaning, health, and activity
- Provide exercise and enrichment for the animals
- Check exhibits daily, clean the exhibit hall and maintain interactive exhibits
- Cordially interact with public and be able to give impromptu information about Irvine Nature Center, our animals, and exhibits
- Assist staff in live animal handling
- Assist with special events as needed
- Respond to public requests for information
- Communicate with Coordinator and Naturalists about changes in animal behavior, problems with exhibits, etc
- College sophomore through graduate pursuing a major in biology, animal science, education or related field
- Experience handling and/or desire to work with animals of all varieties
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and independently
- Animal Care / Handling
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours/week
- After-School Program Intern
- Are you handy and like the...
- Project Clean Stream
- Earth Friends Homeschool Program...
- Children’s Nature Series...
- Nature Preschool Volunteers
- Special Event Intern
- Do you have a green thumb? Join...
- Forest Dreamers Volunteers
- Volunteer Naturalist
- Animal Care & Exhibits Intern
- Development Intern
- Youth Program Leader- Summer...
- Naturalist Intern