About this Volunteer Position:
People Against Domestic & Sexual Abuse (PADA) has been serving Jefferson County, WI since 1978. PADA receives about 1,200 crisis calls annually, the majority of which occur during hours where our full-time advocate staff are available to respond. PADA relies on volunteer coverage for nights and weekends. We estimate about 20-30 calls/month are received after-hours on our hotline. Volunteer Crisis Line Advocates respond to these calls, provide immediate support and resources, and refer to community resources as needed. The crisis line is transferrable; volunteers can answer calls directly on personal cell phones or landlines from their own homes. We ask that all volunteer advocates agree to a minimum of three (3) shifts per month. Shifts include: Monday - Friday, 4pm - 8am following morning; Saturday, 8am - Monday, 8am. Staff back-up and support is available. Training covers crisis counseling, overview of community resources, domestic violence and sexual assault information, and more.
- Respond to after-hours crisis calls from domestic and sexual violence victims by providing support and referrals.
- Regularly document services provided and submit accurate and objective case notes to the Executive Director in a timely manner.
- Access PADA’s texting hotline via a free downloadable app, respond to text messages, and refer to resources and/or the crisis line as needed.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- No education/experience required; PADA provides an initial training and ongoing training opportunities. Staff back-up for immediate crises is available.
- Must have access to a reliable telephone line.
- Must submit to a criminal background check. (Note: criminal history does not necessarily disqualify potential volunteers)
- Empathetic, non-judgmental, and sensitive to issues of domestic and sexual abuse.
- You will be providing essential support to victims of domestic and sexual abuse!
- Extensive training and education provided to volunteers.
- Unique experiences for résumé; professional references for excellent service
NEXT TRAINING OPPORTUNITY: OCTOBER 15, 2016
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Crisis Counseling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 3 shifts per month