About Pen Parentis
Pen Parentis is a 100% volunteer-run 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization that provides resources to writers to help them stay on creative track after they start a family. Founded in 2013 by M. M. De Voe, the organization runs a bicoastal literary salon that seeks to change the stereotype of parent-writer by presenting works by a diversity of outstanding creative writers who happen to also be parents.
Pen Parentis also supports and encourages writing parents through its annual Writing Fellowship, its online and in-person community-building events, and through various partnerships with nonprofits, businesses, and government agencies that support the arts. By focusing on writers, we hope to help create a world in which the arts community at large supports and embraces parenthood as an option in any working artist’s life.
Reporting to Executive Director, the Communications Director will develop and implement the general external communications strategy for the organization.
- Train, manage and develop a team of volunteers
- Develop, enhance, and implement a social media strategy
- Manage and improve the organization’s website
- collaborate on projects with other program managers
- develop, enhance, and implement local communications strategies
- manage and improve communications between the org and its members
Meetings with Executive Director can be virtual or in person. While an experienced candidate is preferred, training can be provided to an enthusiastic self-starter. This is a great way to build your resume! Particularly good position for parents who stayed home with kids and have a resume gap to fill.
We are seeking highly motivated volunteers who can commit 6-10 Hours per week for 6 Months and will tackle all projects with enthusiasm. Applicants preferred if they have the following qualifications, though training can be provided:
- Experience managing volunteers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong experience with social media
- Experience in program management
- Interest in books, literary and/or arts programs
Aside from networking with other Volunteers and multi-disciplinary professionals in the literary industry, Pen Parentis offers volunteers the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas:
- Professional Development
- Community Impact
- Networking with industry professionals
- Meeting notable authors and learning about forthcoming books & book-related events
- Program Management
- Social Media / Blogging
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Reading / Writing
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 6-10 hours per week (flexible schedule)