Date: July 25, 2016
Employment Type: Fall 2016 Internship: Development Intern
Location: Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
About Luke’s Wings:
Luke’s Wings is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to the support of American Heroes who have been wounded in battle. Recognizing the immediate need for families to be with their loved ones at such a difficult time, Luke’s Wings provides families with the means to visit during the injured warrior’s recovery and rehabilitation.
Luke’s Wings is seeking a Development Intern for the Fall 2016 semester who can work a minimum of 14 hours per week. Students will gain first-hand experience with non-profit fundraising including, but not limited to, individual donors, grants, and database management. The position is unpaid, but may be available for course credit. The intern’s essential duties will support the Development Team in all aspects and assist with planning of our annual fall fundraising event "Heroes Walk to Fly". The internship will provide professional experience for undergraduate and graduate students considering a career in fundraising, data management or non-profit organizations.
Key Projects and Responsibilities:
The internship will provide an opporutnity to:
- Learn basic research and prospecting skills; research topics may have a wide range and can be adjusted based on interest
- Receive a general overview of data analytics
- Improve writing and communication skills
- Become familiar with research subscription databases
- Learn about interactions with fundraisers and participation in their strategy sessions
- Database management, intern will be trained in Salesforce, the database used to track donors
- Learn the basic principles around preparing a lettter of inquiry and grant proposal submissions
- Assist with planning annual fundraisers
The internship schedule is flexible, however a successful candidate should expect to commit at least 14 hours per week and a minimum of three months for the internship.
- Interest in the development side of non-profit work
- Proficient in Microsoft office
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Available to work on a committed weekly schedule during 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. office hours. Available for minimal evening/ weekend work as well.
Interested applicants should email or fax a resume to Lindsay Gill at:
Fax: (202) 803-2041
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- minimum 14 hours per week