Love n Me is a nonprofit orgainzation supporting in the domestic violence and rape crisis movements. Our mission is to assist adult and child survivors of domestic violence, rape, sexual assault and trafficking; to prevent the incidence of these crimes through education and services; and to raise community awareness of the need for justice and compassion for victims.
Position: The Bilingual Domestic Violence counselor must have good communication skills, exercise discretion, be non-judgmental and have the ability to complete paperwork in a timely manner. The candidate must be someone who can engage and set healthy boundaries with clients. The candidate must have knowledge of domestic and sexual violence and the process of helping them heal from abuse. The candidate must be able to work with other agencies, such as the legal system and CPS. The candidate will attend in house and off site meetings and trainings.
The candidate will report to the Director of Counseling. S/he must be able to utilize the supervisory relationship to address and resolve work related concerns to enhance clinical skills. S/he will be a representative of the agency and must be presentable in a professional manner, which includes dress. This person must have familiarity and experience in working with Latino communities.
This is a great opportunity to work with underserved populations and help clients to overcome the abuse or neglect they are enduring alone. The candidate needs to be a great source of support for each client.
Responsibilities for Bilingual Domestic Violence Counselor:
- Provide crisis intervention and individual counseling to victims of domestic violence
- Work in conjunction with children’s program counselors to also facilitate family sessions or to get counseling for child witnesses to domestic violence
- Communicate case management or treatment plan to other involved VIBS staff, such as children’s counseling, advocacy and hotline, where appropriate;
- Provide assessment and Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT)
- Keep accurate and appropriate case records
- Attend staff meetings, trainings and weekly clinical supervision
- Complete and submit OVS applications
- Work evenings as required
- Compile accurate statistics and other paperwork required by the agency or funding source
- Perform other duties as requested, including but not limited to crisis intervention for walk-in clients, intake interviews, reception and hotline coverage
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Counselor needs excellent clinical skills in order to establish a good working relationship with clients.
- Ability to discuss and complete safety plans with clients.
- Ability to use supervision to discuss clients and their issues.
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner; good organizational skills.
- Proven ability to interact well with outside agencies, which include APS and other agencies that deal with the elder population.
- Ability to work and comfort domestic violence clients
- Experience, knowledge and sensitivity to clients of Latino cultures
- Make appropriate referral to clients for other agency programs or outside resources
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must be able to drive and willing to travel within Suffolk County
- LMSW or equivalent degree.
- Two or more years in the counseling field.
- Prior experience in the domestic or elder abuse field.
- Must have use of a car and a valid driver’s license.
- Must have computer skills and know Microsoft programs.
- Must be willing to have a background check
- Spanish fluency required
Visit us at www.lovenme.org and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LoveNMe2015/ to learn more about our organization!
- Child Development
- Program Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Youth Services
- Professional Development
- Family Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 Year
- Education, Licenses or Certificates: Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT) or Marriage Family Ch
- LGBT Program Director
- Bilingual Writer
- Seeking Board Members
- Social Media
- Social Media & Marketing Expert...
- Developers Needed! Platform for...
- Seeking A Grant Writer
- Domestic Violence Counselor...
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Grant Writer
- Program Directors
- Creative & Passionate Writer!
- Volunteers Needed