Volunteer Job Description
Job Title: Front Desk Assistant
Report To: Adoptions Manager Supervised by: Volunteer Manager
Time Commitment: Two to Four hour shifts available daily.
Purpose: Greet visitors at the front desk. Provide applications as appropriate. Assist animal welfare staff with clerical duties and related. Answer phone and take surrender information form on dog or cat, take lost animal information, answer questions or take messages as deemed appropriate by adoptions manager. Make follow up calls on adopted animals as directed.
Must have a friendly, outgoing personality at all times when assisting on the front desk and be comfortable handling a variety of tasks at the same time.
- Please arrange with another volunteer to cover your shift if you are unable to come on your assigned day.
- Sign in and out through Volgistics
- Check in with front office staff to get a list of dogs available for adoption. This list should give basics such as name, breed, age, and whether dog is good with kids, other dogs, cats etc.
- Cheerfully greets all visitors and ascertain the reason for their visit. Have adopter’s complete application or look in file or online. Your job is not to do adoption counseling, more to assist those who may just be looking and to find an available adoption counselor if they are serious about adopting.
- Answers phone and provides information to caller regarding hours, location and encourages callers to come to shelter rather than discuss animals available on phone.
- Help staff with clerical duties as directed. This includes faxing, copying, filing, etc.
- Donations: if someone donates items - enthusiastically thank them! Assist by removing donated items from the front lobby and put them in their appropriate place- also have the donor fill out a donation form.
- Prepare files of adopted animals for recall and file in recall drawer.
- Prepare packets to be given to adopters.
- Make sure the front lobby/desk area is always clean
ü Sweep and mop office, lobby and hallway
ü Clear front lobby and hallway of all towels, garbage, and clutter
ü Wipe down office area and lobby
Training: Brief orientation and tour with review of job description with volunteer staff. On the job training with experienced volunteers and adoptions manager.
Dress Code: Volunteer T shirt and name tag. Long pants and closed toe rubber soled non slip shoes.
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18