All it takes is compassion and a little time to become a volunteer feeding assistant, helping hospice patients during meal times in nursing homes.
Volunteer feeding assistants provide the gifts of sustenance and companionship to hospice patients, who often need more time and assistance to finish their meals. Volunteers are trained in how to make any meal more enjoyable for patients, by being patient and providing a listening ear.
Tasks can include accompanying residents to and from the dining room, preparing residents for a meal, serving the meal, providing encouragement and conversation, cutting food so residents can feed themselves, assisting with beverages, in some cases, feeding residents, recording food and beverage intake.
The time commitment from the volunteer can be as little as one hour, yet the reward is instant gratification.
All VITAS Healthcare volunteers are trained in communication skills, family dynamics, the dying experience and ways to positively affect the patient and his or her family.
Times and dates are ongoing and flexible, and volunteer orientation is provided free of charge.
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- <p>Feeding Assistant Volunteers are trained in how to make any meal more enjoyable for residents who need a helping hand, a listening ear or just a little more time to finish their meal. Times and dates are ongoing and flexible, and volunteer orientation is provided free of charge.</p>
- VITAS Patient-Care Volunteers
- VITAS Feeding Assistant Volunteers
- VITAS Telephone Assurance...
- VITAS Volunteer Memory Bear...
- VITAS Paw Pals Volunteers
- Be a Calming Presence at the End...
- VITAS Veteran Volunteers
- VITAS Musical and Visual Artist...
- VITAS Administrative Volunteers
- VITAS Massage & Reiki Volunteers
- Offer Companionship and...