40 people are interested
We are seeking a friendly volunteer who can provide administrative support to our office and programs. Our free literacy services are expanding, and we also have some other big projects on the horizon. We are trying to do more than ever, and would be grateful for some helping hands!
If you love books, reading, a laid-back work environment, -- we're your people. We'd love to meet you!
We are only able to welcome one or two exceptional volunteers for the office volunteer role, as we have limited stations at which to place new volunteers. If this opportunity is not the right fit for you, our programs always welcome volunteers to work directly with keiki and adult clients. More info can be found at hawaiiliteracy.org/volunteer
We appreciate your understanding about the competitive nature of this role!
Impact/Duties/Things We Need Help With
- filing, mailing, copying
- readying supply orders to support program needs
- space organization
- event planning
- social media, website, and other communications efforts
- book sorting and cataloging
Office volunteers must:
- have extremely strong writing and comprehension skills;
- be willing to read and utilize written manuals and guidance, follow established processes;
- have strong organizational and logical skills;
- have robust computer skills and comfort with using a Windows PC independently
- be willing to jump in where needed. including helping the Assistant and Executive Directors with tidying and organizational needs
- likes to problem solve and figure things out
- can receive and incorporate constructive feedback
- enjoys learning
- brings care and thoughtfulness to each of their projects - has a tendency to do more than the minimum
Why Volunteer with Hawaii Literacy?
- supportive and friendly co-workers that encourage questions and learning
- training is provided
- casual work environment - we believe in a "all-hands-in" approach for crunch times
- leadership roles for various projects
- opportunities to get a "behind-the-scenes" view of nonprofit operations
- make a difference in the lives of adult and youth learners that are working to strengthen and develop their literacy skills
- join a local nonprofit working since 1971 to end illiteracy in Hawaii
- Very flexible during office hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm
- Parking available (office is at the edge of Chinatown)
If this is of interest, please get in touch with us and share a little about yourself (past experiences, interest in working with Hawaii Literacy, favorite book, or other brief details that can help us to learn about you.
We'll work with your schedule.
245 North Kukui StreetHonolulu, HI 96817
- Problem Solving
- Internet Research
- Reading / Writing
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- - ideally at least 2 hours/week for at least 4 weeks