The Irish International Immigrant Center, located in downtown Boston, Massachusetts, is seeking an intern/volunteer to provide administrative support to IIIC’s Immigration and Citizenship Legal Services Department. This position offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in immigration or social justice to become part of a team of people dedicated to helping newcomers to this country. This is a chance to make a difference in the lives of immigrants and to gain an appreciation for diverse cultures while being part of an organization strongly rooted in its Irish culture.
Time Commitment: Negotiable, but 20+ hours a week preferred.
Dates: August/September to December 2016 (can be extended if all parties are interested in this)
This is an unpaid internship.
- Provide administrative support for the Immigration & Citizenship Legal Services department, including data entry and reporting; closing cases and contacting clients
- Assist attorney in filling out immigration forms for clients
- Provide administrative support during walk-in immigration clinics
- Translate during client appointments
- A commitment to the overall mission and values of IIIC
- An interest in immigration law desired but not required
- Great organizational skills and attention to detail
- Articulate, and clear communicator
- Highly motivated, an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Competent in using Microsoft Word , Excel and databases (Salesforce experience a big plus)
- Good interpersonal skills - friendly, helpful, and "can do" attitude
- Ability to handle confidential information with the highest level of discretion
- Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole or French language skills a plus
The IIIC strives to create a diverse workforce that reflects our constituency.
About the Irish International Immigrant Center:
The Irish International Immigrant Center was established in 1989 by a group of Irish immigrants to meet the needs of a large Irish immigrant population in the Greater Boston area. Over the years, the IIIC has developed into a multi-service center and safe place for immigrants from around the world and we provide them with legal, wellness and education services. The IIIC is recognized for its work in promoting civic engagement and bridging cultural and other divides. We work toward partnership and solidarity, building an integrated society in which all people are treated with respect and dignity and enjoy equal opportunities and protections.
Our Immigration Legal Services team consists of five attorneys, an accredited representative, a legal assistant, over fifteen pro-bono attorneys, and many other volunteers and interns. We provide free immigration advice at our weekly walk-in clinics, as well as low-cost immigration forms assistance at monthly workshops, and full representation of clients in immigration matters. We handle a wide range of immigration cases, including family-based immigration, consular processing, humanitarian relief, temporary protected status, deferred action, naturalization, permanent residence for asylees and refugees, relief for survivors of domestic violence and other crimes, and inadmissibility waivers.
The IIIC has a strong reputation for providing quality legal services to the community, as displayed by our recognition by the U.S. Department of Justice's Board of Immigration Appeals, as well as the huge demand for our services and the many referrals we receive every week from immigration attorneys, hospitals, schools, and state agencies. There is always a high demand for our services, which are always low-cost or free.
How to Apply:
Please complete the volunteer questionnaire at: www.iiicenter.org/volunteer-questionnaire and email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com - please include 'Immigration & Citizenship Legal Services Intern’ in the subject title.
There is no application deadline; we will interview candidates on a rolling basis until we fill the position. However, we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible as our internship spots fill up very quickly.
For more information on the Irish International Immigrant Center, please see www.iiicenter.org
- Data Entry
- Database Administration
- Hatian / Creole
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Negotiable, but 20+ hours a week - start asap