Teach Children 5 Safety Rules
27 people are interested
V olunteers facilitators will teach The Speak Up Be Safe Curriculum in Fairfax County Schools and other community agencies.
Childhelp Speak Up Be safe is a primary prevention curriculum aimed at stopping and preventing child abuse, including physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, bullying and cyber bullying.
Children Learn Five Basic Safety Rules:
1. "It's MY body!" All children are special and deserve to be safe.
2. "Ask an Adult if I am safe"- Adults are responsible for keeping children safe.
3. "I have choices"- Children learned that in situations where they might not be safe, they can think about what choices they have to help them get to a safe place.
4. "Tell someone."- Children learned it is important to tell a safe adult if they have been abused or if someone is not following the safety rules.
5. "It is never my fault."- Children learned that is they are ever abused, even if they are tricked, it is never their fault and it is never too late to tell someone and get help from a safe adult.
The classes are delivered in two hour blocks of time. Volunteers need to be willing to make a commitment to teach 4 classes / month.
* Complete a volunteer application
* Interview with the coordinator
* Receive necessary background checks (FBI & CPS)
* Attend one-day training
* Facilitate classes in schools/community centers
* Commitment: 1 year (4 two-hour classes per month)
About Department of Family Services- Children, Youth and Families
12011 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035, US
We are an organization where our diversity is our strength. We welcome volunteers from all cultural backgrounds to help us meet the needs of the diverse community we serve in Fairfax County. We look forward to discussing opportunities with you!
Regardless of how you choose to share your talents, as a Department of Family Services volunteer, you will ...
- Meet new people and gain new skills.
- Have your choice of short- or long-term projects - whatever fits your schedule.
- Receive training, ongoing support and guidance.
- Meet other volunteers at monthly social activities (for some programs).
- Learn more about your community.
We'll work with your schedule.
VariesFairfax, VA 22035
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 21
- One year