Do you love to read? Do you have a favorite book? You can help the patrons of the Braille and Talking Book Library gain access to their own favorite books...and find new ones!
Volunteer Position Description
Position Overview and Impact: Since the inception of the digital talking book cartridge and download format in 2009, the National Library Service for the Blind has been converting its older talking books on cassette to downloadable, digital files. This volunteer position will assist BTBL’s patrons by transferring these titles, as well as newer digital talking book and magazine files, onto flash memory cartridges to fulfill requests from our patrons.
1. Utilize lists and other documentation to initiate labeling and electronic duplication on demand.
2. Process duplicated digital cartridges and prepare them for the circulation department.
3. May enter information into automated spreadsheets and/or database.
- Ability to communicate and work well with staff and volunteers and people with disabilities.
- Knowledge and familiarity with computer office software.
- Knowledge of computer file management a plus.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the National Library Service talking book program a plus.
Training and Support Provided: Orientation to the BTBL program; training on audio duplication equipment; access to BTBL staff during shift for answering questions and providing clarification.
Time Commitment: 3-6 hours per week. Library hours M-F, 8:30AM to 5PM.
Length of Commitment: 3-6 months or longer
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Opportunity to help the blind and visually impaired BTBL patrons of Northern California maintain access to books and other materials.
- Literacy / Reading
- Special Needs
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3-6 months or longer