United Way's OC Free Tax Prep Campaign hosts the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program during tax season.
- Training -- will be conducted November through January 2016
- Service -- will be end of January through April 17th 2017
This is a wonderful opprotunity to share your expertise with the community if you are a tax professional or to gain real-world, hands-on experience if you are a student.
You will receive IRS-based training and certification that allows you to prepare taxes for free at one of our many Orange County, CA locations. Locations are open weekdays, evenings, and weekends... so there are plenty of opportunities that match your schedule.
The VITA program serves low-income taxpayers that need our help. In 2016, we filed over 17,000 tax returns! Imagine helping someone put food on their table or saving a family from a mortgage foreclosure. As a VITA volunteer, you will help individuals and families keep their hard-earned money.
No previous experience is necessary. Certification exams are completed online, are multiple choice, and open book. While all training is self-paced and can be completed online, Orange County United Way provides several in-person trainings at various locations in winter.
* Enrolled Agents and Other Tax Return Preparers who volunteer as Preparers and Quality Reviewers may be eligible for CE Credits.
CONTACT US TODAY TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO REGISTER AS A VOLUNTEER AND TO RECEIVE THE TRAINING SCHEDULE.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Financial Literacy
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Professional Development
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum request 30 hours of service Feb-April 2017
- Required training & certification varies from 10-25 hours depending on tax knowledge.