This person will work with Jamaican university students to provide hands on guidance on a number of Jamaican open source projects. These include:
- Garnet: A web based application that monitors system and network performance
- Infoset-ng: An API for storing and retrieving data
- switchmap-ng: A web application for listing the status of network switch and router ports
- MaterialUI: An international project with an active Jamaican engineering community
The Palisadoes Foundation LLC is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in California. It was conceived by a group of Jamaican technology professionals interested in assisting in the continued development new and existing technologies in Jamaica.
Palisadoes focuses on the field of software engineering eduction. The field is a growing extension of Jamaica's successful call center service sector. A workforce educated with the required skills is important in the development of any modern economy. Fortunately, many of the required tools and educational materials are freely available on the Internet. Access to mentors is facilitated by web conferencing too.
About the Calico Challenge
The annual Calico Challenge, run by the Palisadoes Foundation in collaboration with the Jamaica Computer Society, takes advantage of this access to provide stipends for students to participate in international open source projects under the guidance of a mentor.
- The Calico Website: http://calico.palisadoes.org/
- The Palisadoes Foundation Website: http://www.palisadoes.org
Required Knowledge, Proven Skills and Abilities
- A proven track record in software development or software engineering.
- Familiarity with GitHub and Open Source software development desirable
- Software Development
- Software Engineering
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2-4 hours / week