To volunteer in this role, cut & paste this link http://bit.ly/29HFM95 into your browser. No need to contact us via email - we screen applications regularly. Thank you!
Walk! Play! Sunshine or Rain! Do you love to turn that special dogs' frown to a smile?! You can make a difference in just under a mile.
Volunteers on this team walk shelter dogs on an assigned shift in an area around the shelter. Every volunteer walks for a 2 hour shift giving each shelter dog a 30-45 minute walk. Walkers walk all types of dogs in all weather conditions and on holidays, so be prepared for smelly dogs, wet dogs, windstorms and snow storms (and wet dog kisses, of course)! Apply today at https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=42524828
* Eight hours of training that will take up to 2 months to complete.
* Volunteers must commit to walking once a week.
* A commitment of at least two hours per week is required.
* Dates and times are prescheduled.
CURRENT SHIFT AVAILABILITY:
Visit http://bit.ly/29HFM95 and click on "Dog Walking" link to learn about current openings.
Qualifications: * Volunteers must have experience handling large, 40-lb. or larger, dogs.Shelter dogs are strong and unruly, and only handlers able to manage these dogs will pass their evaluation.
* Volunteers must be willing to handle the types of dogs at the shelter (including bully breeds).
* Volunteers must commit to a consistent weekly schedule and notify team leads when they are absent.
* Please note: If you do not have previous experience handling large dogs, you will not be accepted into the program.
Volunteer Orientation required: Yes
Safe Dog Handling required: Yes
Dog Handling Experience: Large dog experience (55lbs.+)
Completed dog-training classes
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 8 hours/month
- Dog walking, Dog play, dog training, positive reinforcement