Writing Center Tutors - Volunteers and Mentors
- One - Two (preferably two) hours per week
- A weekly commitment
- Location: Boston International High School, Maxwell Street, Dorchester
- Ability to sit, listen and help students clarify their thinking
- Not be an editor!
"Our job is to produce better writers, not better writing." We often go back to this statement from Stephen North, considered the father of the Writing Center movement, in order to remind ourselves that we are developing writers, not fixing papers. We are empowering teenagers through writing.
We focus on meeting one-on-one with students in the Writing Center and in various classrooms throughout the school. Students are often frustrated with writing and with school in general. Writing tutors must be:
- patient and open-minded
- willing to work through teenage boredom and frustration
- talk with students about their reading and thinking
- help students express themselves clearly
- organize their thinking, and
- write solid paragraphs and essays.
Tutors should enjoy teenagers and have a passion for writing. Tutors should have a sense of humor and a willingness to suspend judgment. The Writing Center offers tutors a group of creative and talented writing colleagues who can support each other in their efforts to grow as tutors and writers.
If interested, please contact Calvin Lescault at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Seeking tutors that can commit 2 hours per week.