WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1800 Chicago AveAll over metro areaMinneapolis, MN 55404
Purpose: To spend time with a vulnerable client who is in need of companionship
- To provide friendship and companionship
- To share activities and/or outings that enhance client’s life
- To be a listening friend as the client reconciles her/his life situation
- To monitor the client’s well-being and ability to live independently
- To note and report any changes or concerns to the assigned staff person
- To support the client in learning/using beneficial community resources
- To encourage self-reliance and recreational, spiritual, cultural, community and multigenerational involvement with others
Requirements: The volunteer must be reliable, patient, willing to establish a healthy relationship with a client, have good listening skills, have a valid MN drivers license and a good driving record or able to have public transportation.
A volunteer must complete the online application, interview and orientation process, provide 2 references, agree to department policies including data privacy and confidentiality, pass a criminal background check, and attend training.
Time Commitment: Meet with a client approximately 4 to 5 hours per month. A minimum commitment of 12 months is requested. Volunteer must schedule these meetings in advance with supervisor as well as with client's conservator.
Location:Visits may take place in the client’s home, a medical facility or out in to the community. All clients live withinHennepinCounty.
- Enhanced quality of life by establishing meaningful and healthy relationships withe a community member who is a client of our department
- Opportunity to learn new skills and improve existing skills
- Access to specialized training at no cost
- Mileage reimbursement for visits and outings
- Letters of recommendation can be provided upon request
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Approx 2-4 times a month for 6 months