DescriptionWho We Are:
The American Lung Association in Houston is a local affiliate of the American Lung Association (ALA), the oldest, voluntary, non-profit health organization in the United States. The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy. Our work is focused on five strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to improve the air we breathe; to reduce the burden of lung disease on individuals and their families; to eliminate tobacco use and tobacco-related diseases; and to monitor and enhance organizational effectiveness.
The Special Events Internship is offered to students and professionals who have an interest in event planning and staging fundraisers. The intern will gain knowledge of planning and executing events from start to finish, including developing sponsorship packages, marketing sponsorship packages, soliciting in-kind donations, working with vendors, recruiting special events volunteers, managing event volunteers, organizing event logistics and executing a silent auction. The Special Events Intern will work directly with and report to the Executive Director.
When do our internships begin/end?
Begin: Determined during interview based on our needs and the needs of the student (ongoing/rolling start)
End: Internship positions last 3 months from start date
All submissions will be considered until the positions have been filled. Students may resubmit every 3 months.
Paid / Unpaid?
Applicants should provide the following materials:
Please submit a resume, including any relevant course work, and all previous volunteer involvement. Please include a cover letter summarizing the reason applicant wants to work at ALA and what he/she hopes to gain from the internship experience. Responsibilities ALA’s event department is in constant need of talented assistance in order to receive more in-kind donations, better market events, set-up for events and clean-up after events. The intern will assist with unsolicited phone calls, managing of projects and committee meeting minutes.
The position is a supportive role that requires one to work efficiently on both team-based and independent projects. Requirements Time required:
A 3 month commitment is required. Hours per week are flexible depending on our needs and the needs of the student. This will be discussed and determined during the interview process.
Hours are flexible, provided the student is able to be at the office during our regular working hours (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
* A desire to work in the field of non-profit development or special event planning.
* Experience or interest in establishing and cultivating relationships with corporate supporters in order to secure funding for ALA’s programmatic services and special events.
* Experience or interest in event marketing in order to secure participants for ALA’s special events.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and comfortable making unsolicited phone calls.
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
* Must be able to manage projects with goals and deadlines.
* Enthusiasm to learn and a team player.
* Some knowledge preferred using e-mail, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and social media outlets.
* A problem solver with the ability to lead when the situation dictates.
* Ability to work some weekend and evening hours.
- Resource Development / Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 9:00 A.M - 4:30 P.M MWF, Flexible