The Evaluation department is looking for enthusiastic self-starters who enjoy working independently. This is a flexible volunteer opportunity to work with a small team to collect and process data for a variety of Science Center programs and initiatives. Many of our grant-funded projects require us to measure to what extent we are meeting the goals we have set. We do this by surveying or interviewing participants during programs, at events, and in our exhibits. Data Squad Volunteers do the majority of this work!
The Evaluation department aims to accurately collect and reflect the voices of our guests and stakeholders. This feedback is often used when reporting on the impact of Pacific Science Center’s initiatives to our donors and grant funders. Additionally, we use data to continually assess and improve our programs and exhibits and ensure that we are providing relevant, inspiring experiences for the public. Evaluation guides planning, enables decision-making, and strengthens programing.
Aptitude and interest in audience research is desired. The Data Squad is essential to the completion of evaluation for multiple programs and initiatives.
Training: In addition to Pacific Science Center’s volunteer orientation, Data Squad Volunteers will receive an additional hour of data collection specific training.
- Carry out evaluation projects accurately and according to the directions and protocols established by the Evaluation department
- Establish rapport with a wide variety of visitors; follow scripts to obtain informed consent; ask questions in a consistent manner; and accurately report data
- Data collection may include distributing surveys to visitors, conducting face-to-face interviews, tracking and timing studies, or visitor observations
- Potentially assist in entering data into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and/or transcribing audio files into Microsoft Word (weekdays only)
- Other duties as assigned
- Enjoy interacting with children, families, and the general public
- Able to listen and transcribe spoken word with accuracy, attention to detail, and clear handwriting
- Must be able to stand and interact with people for extended periods
- Comprehension of non-English languages welcome
- Proficient with computers/technology and knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is a plus (if working weekdays)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Pass a criminal background check
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Comfortable and confident approaching and interacting with a diverse range of people
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
- Ability to work neatly, cooperatively and considerately with other people
- Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
- IT Management
- Internet Research
- Website Programming
- IT Consulting
- IT Strategy
- Market Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 regular shifts a month for 6 months. 11am to 2pm