Community Outreach Intern - Spring/Summer 2017
Organizational Background: The Minnesota Literacy Council recruits and supports volunteers and students in adult and children’s literacy programs. These programs offer free classes for new immigrants and refugees, as well as life-long Minnesotans, who are learning basic English, reading, math or computer skills, or studying for the GED.
Purpose of Position: To expand and support community engagement through outreach, training and recruitment efforts. This is an unpaid internship position.
Number of Positions: 2
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Dependable, prompt and able to maintain confidentiality
- Visual design skills
- Basic computer, Internet, and MS Office software skills
- Reliable transportation
- Experience with online social media (Facebook/Twitter)
- Experience with adult or children’s literacy programs is preferred, though not required
Training: Attend volunteer tutor training sessions, orientation with program staff, interactive online tutorials and organization-wide staff meetings.
Location: Minnesota Literacy Council’s main office, 700 Raymond Ave, Suite 180, St. Paul, MN, 55114 and various outreach sites throughout the Twin Cities
Time Commitment: 10-12 hours per week, plus time spent at outreach events. Outreach events range from 2 - 10 hours per month, including some evenings and/or weekends. Schedule will be determined upon start. This internship is for mid-April through August.
- Assist in an ABE classroom or one-to-one setting for 2-3 hours per week (same day and time every week)
- Work cooperatively with staff and other interns to recruit new volunteers and students
- Represent the literacy council atvolunteerrecruitment fairs and other outreach events
- Help facilitate New Volunteer Information Sessions
- Help facilitate volunteer engagement events, book clubs, movie nights, etc.
- Assist with annual Journeys event planning, set-up, tear-down and other related tasks; must be available on May 25 from 12-9pm
- Reach out to community members through social media, including Twitter and Facebook
- Write articles about volunteer tutoring and internship experience for the Volunteer Voice Blog
- Additional projects in support of community outreach as needed
- Build marketing, communications, and public relations skills.
- Utilize social networking tools in a professional non-profit setting.
- Learn more about literacy-related issues in the Twin Cities.
- Gain experience in the fields of volunteer management and community outreach.
- Gain a better understanding of Adult Basic Education.
- Gain hands-on teaching or tutoring experience.
- Participate in trainings to learn about the roles ofvolunteers in Adult Basic Education.
- Ideal for college students seeking internship credit or professional experience.
To apply, email cover letter and resume by April 9, 2017 to:
Wendy Vang Roberts, Volunteer Outreach Manager
- Literacy / Reading
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 days/week totaling 10-12 hours, plus outreach