The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers.
NYLAG has launched the Language Access Volunteer program to enhance its ability to provide high-quality, free civil legal services to poor and near-poor New Yorkers in one of the most diverse metropolitans in the world. Volunteers skilled in translation and interpretation will work closely with NYLAG attorneys to interpret during client interviews, meetings, and court proceedings, and to translate legal documents. Language Access Volunteers will significantly increase NYLAG’s capacity to work with low-income clients of diverse backgrounds.
The Language Access Volunteers(LAVs) will provide "on-call" availability time(s) and contact information, which NYLAG attorneys, paralegals and staff will use to contact volunteers directly when they require language assistance. All translation/interpretation work will occur on weekdays during normal business hours.
Currently there are immediate and ongoing opportunities available for LAVs with a fluency in Japanese. NYLAG’s Family Law Unit (FLU) is in immediate need of a volunteer Japanese interpreter to assist in vital communications between attorney and client.
This is an excellent opportunity for bi-lingual/multi-lingual volunteers interested in law to learn about civil legal proceedings, and receive hands-on experience working with clients and in collaboration with experienced attorneys and legal staff.
- We are seeking volunteers who are native speakers, have bi-lingual proficiency, or professional verbal proficiency of one of the designated languages.
- Applicants should have some college education, and/or experience with interpretation.
- Volunteers should be comfortable working in a professional environment.
- Written translation, not required but very helpful.
- Applicants will be interviewed by speakers of your designated language to assess fluency and general qualifications. Once accepted into the program, volunteers will be trained in language access and cultural competency.
How to apply:
Please email your resume and a brief introduction to LAV@nylag.org. Please include "Language Access Volunteer - Japanese" in the subject line of your email.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment