NYCitizenship Volunteers Wanted!
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. NYLAG handles a wide spectrum of legal matters including immigration, public benefits, family/matrimonial law, and housing. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
NYLAG is seeking volunteers to assist with the recently launched NYCitizenship program, a partnership between NYLAG and the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs. Through NYCitizenship, NYLAG attorneys provide citizenship legal services on-site at 12 libraries throughout the New York Public Library, Queens Public Library, and Brooklyn Public Library systems. The volunteers will be based in NYLAG’s main office in Lower Manhattan, and will work to schedule appointments that come through the NYCitizenship hotline. A select group of volunteers may have the opportunity to work directly with the attorneys at the library locations, assisting with application processing.
This is an excellent opportunity for those seeking experience in an office environment, have an interested in Legal Services, and enjoy working with a diverse population!
Responsibilities may include:
- Record information left on the NYCitizenship hotline in English and Spanish
- Call those who left messages back in a timely manner and schedule appointments at the appropriate library via the appointment scheduling system
- Provide information on documentation needed to begin the application process
- Manage rescheduling and confirming appointments
- assist attorney with administrative tasks related to application process
-Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Able to commit 15-20 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months
-Experience with multi-calendar scheduling preferred but not required
- No prior education or work experience required. Training will be provided as necessary
How to apply:
Please email your resume and a brief introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "NYCitizenship Volunteer" in the subject line of your email.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment