Communications and Development Intern (part-time, nonpaid)
If you love to build relationships, share your enthusiasm for a cause, and impact the resources available to a nonprofit, this opportunity is for you!
Description: Young Ladies of Tomorrow, Inc. is a DC-based nonprofit providing direct service locally to justice-involved girls. We seek a Communications and Development Intern to help grow our small, thriving nonprofit. We offer a flexible and dynamic work environment and leadership development opportunities.
The Communications and Development Intern will work closely with senior management and Board members to support fundraising and other aspects of resource development, and various communications needs.
Under the direction of the executive team:
- Manage creative production and distribution of regular external emails, develop text and graphics templates, managing interface with our website
- Execute strategies to improve organizational visibility and public relations activities
- Write and edit newsletters, program brochures, flyers, etc.
- Prepare presentation media and materials
- Oversee social network profiles including Facebook and Twitter, leading research and populating with relevant content
- Assist in prospect and foundation research
- Draft and edit funding proposals, track opportunities, manage timelines and provide follow-up
- Manage donor administration activities, including drafting donor reports, donor database entry, updates, invitations, thank you notes, and other materials
- Work with team to develop and execute consistent communication to cultivate and grow donor base
- Assist in implementing online fundraising strategies, campaigns and calls to action, including tactics for online mobilization, outreach and small donor fundraising
- Assist in monitoring metrics and analysis of online fundraising and constituent mobilization campaigns
Although we may consider exceptional candidates without all of the following qualifications, the ideal candidate would have:
- Some college
- Experience in a professional, preferably non-profit, environment
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills; ability to translate technical information into lay language; experience in developing and organizing proposals for varying audiences
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to help drive projects to completion and multi-task
- Basic image editing skills, familiarity with Adobe Photoshop or similar tools a plus
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to use good judgment, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems
- Knowledge of, or experience in, online fundraising, nonprofit advocacy, membership cultivation and marketing is a plus
Other preferred characteristics
Eagerness to learn and contribute to a small team * Creative and compelling storyteller * Sense of urgency * Collaborative * Results driven * Resourceful * Observant and intuitive * Proactive * Self-aware * Self-starter, dynamic and able to thrive in an unstructured environment * Responsive to direction and feedback * Ability to work independently with a diverse team
The ideal candidate would thrive in a team environment focusing on "getting things done" and supporting the work of others.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Social Worker
- Workshop Facilitator...
- Paid Mentors
- Fundraising Volunteer
- Volunteer Mentors
- Group Counseling Volunteer...
- Speakers to teach on subjects to...
- Development Volunteers
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Counselors to lead group and...
- Volunteer fundraiser/writer
- Counseling Volunteers...
- Grant Writer
- Social Media Volunteer
- Communications and Development...