The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health care, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries, with special programs designed for women and children. Every year, the IRC resettles thousands of refugees in 26 U.S. cities. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC SAN JOSE:
As one of the IRC’s 26 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1975, the San Jose office has resettled over 20,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
This year, the IRC in San Jose will be resettling international refugees from Eritrea, Burma, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, and various other countries. As a receptionist you will be the first point of contact for IRC's clients and you will provide administrative support across the organization. You will handle the flow of clients through the office, answer and forward incoming phone calls, schedule appointments, and provide general office support. Ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment is essential.
We require that candidates have the following qualities:
- Solidly reliable with strong attention to timeliness
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors);
- Possess a great attention to detail and be truly organized
- Have a strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office.
- Computer literacy with PC systems
- Energetic and friendly
- Enjoys working with people and is comfortable with speaking with clients
This position reports to the Volunteer and Internship Coordinator
Apply by sending your resume and a cover letter as a single Word document, titled "Volunteer Receptionist", to the Volunteer Coordinator at volunteerSJ@rescue.org
Please clearly state your time availability, which includes 1) a specific, projected start and end date, 2) the number of hours you are available each week, and 3) the days and times in which you are available.
Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. We have a four month minimum commitment for this position, which ensures enough time for you to move beyond training and into meaningful work.
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Min 4 month time commitment, 15-20 hrs per week
- Must be available during normal business hrs, M-F 9am-5pm
- Russian Speaking Immigration...
- Immigration Program Assistant
- ESL Program Intern
- Administrative Assistant
- Employment Program Intern
- Spanish Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Assistant
- Mandarin Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Intern
- Immigration Program Intern
- Vietnamese Speaking Immigration...
- Economic Empowerment Assistant