Want hands-on experience in immigration at one of the world's leading humanitarian organizations? The International Rescue Committee responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
In San Jose, the IRC provides clients with initial resettlement help, vocational English language classes, job placement assistance, and immigration services, and interns are needed across these areas to help deliver programming and ensure the effective management of our office. Immigration Interns in San Jose help refugees, asylees, and immigrants to become permanent residents, U.S. citizens, and petition on behalf of family members.
- Assist staff with immigration case management, including client follow-up and database management
- Screening potential clients to assess eligibility for immigration and other benefits
- Community outreach and education
- Volunteering at citizenship workshops
Interns should be prepared to work in a multi-cultural non-profit environment, and can expect to finish the internship having gained broad experience helping refugees, asylees, immigrants and undocumented individuals to access high-quality, low cost immigration services.
The ideal intern is:
- Available 10-15 hrs per week during normal business hours (Monday - Friday 9am-4pm);
- Fluent in English and Mandarin;
- Sensitive to the needs of and challenges faced by refugees and immigrants;
- Able to commit to volunteer for at least 3 months.
Send your availability and resume to Kayla Ladd, Community Outreach Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to respond to all applicants.
- Case Work / Management
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum 3 month commitment, 10-15 hours per week
- Bilingual (Mandarin/English)