The Institute on Aging has two Social Day Programs serving seniors in need of volunteers.
1. Ruth Ann Rosenberg Center - This site serves seniors who have dementia primarily Alzheimer’s.
2. On-Lok Lifeways - This program serves a very multicultural, diverse, low income population of adults 55+.
Volunteers meet with the participants, talk and visit with them, and help the staff with various planned activities. The activities vary each day.
- Sample activities include: Games, art projects, lectures, holiday-themed lessons and activities, music, sing-a-longs, poetry, exercises, trivia games, yoga, dancing, sharing current events, interacting with support animals.
- Shifts are usually 2-3 hours (but volunteers can choose their shift anytime between 9-3 Mon - Fri).
- Recommended that a volunteer do either a morning or afternoon shift (9 - 12 or 12 - 3 for example)
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 12
- Flexible -- typically 2 - 4 hours per week