- Looking for a way to "give back"?
- Wanting to really impact the life of a student?
- Interested in health & fitness?
- Able to speak Spanish and English?
YOU can Change a Life. Be a mentor! The life you change may be your own.
Friend Fitness may be just the fit for you! Visit us at: Link to Friend Fitness Mission at www.YouthMP.org
- Adult Volunteers
- Mature Students, Grade 11-12
What: One-on-One, Group & Peer Mentoring
- Thursdays 5:00-7:00pm
- Sundays 10:00-12:00pm
- Upper Main Line YMCA, Berwyn, PA
- Conestoga High School, Berwyn, PA
- Great Valley High School, Mavern, PA
ARE YOU READY TO CHANGE A LIFE, INCLUDING YOUR OWN?
Friend Fitness is a fitness-based youth mentoring program partnering students, in grades 6-12, one-on-one with positive volunteer role models. These adult and peer mentors help students set/reach fitness, academic, social and behavioral goals. Through intense weekly workouts, kids discover what it takes to achieve their goals. Students are primarily referred by school counselors, parents, Great Valley HS ESL program or other youth-serving professionals because they would benefit from the additional support of a positive, caring adult role-model.
Our partnership with Great Valley is an exciting one because we are reaching English as a second language students! Mostly students who's first language is Spanish. Being Bilingual will help students feel more comfortable, help their English, and make connections between students that would not normally talk to each other.
Friend Fitness is unique for:
-Focusing on student-led goal-setting, planning & achievement
-Intense, physical workouts in a gym setting
-Applying contingent reinforcement ("earned" recognition)
-Providing one-on-one, peer & group mentoring
-Nurturing a positive/accepting environment promoting volunteerism
Times of Operation:
Workouts occur year-round on Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm and Sundays, 10:30am-Noon. In the summer (June-August), workouts are on Mondays and Thursdays 5:30-7:00pm. Mentors, students, and staff meet for twice-weekly structured workout sessions. Mentors and Students are expected to attend a minimum of one workout per week. Site-specific workouts occur simultaneously at UMLY, CHS, YMCA @ Great Valley.
As a Friend Fitness mentor, you will help a young person may realize for the first time that he/she . . .
- has potential
- is capable, confident and self-assured
- values education and the learning process
- can be healthy and value their physical fitness
- has someone in their lives who cares about them
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Fitness Instruction
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours a week
- Pass our background checks and risk management training
- Looking for a way to...
- BE A MENTOR - Change Lives...
- Are you looking to Give-back?...
- Work near the Great Valley Corp....
- Got grit? Teach kids in Philly...
- Military Background? Your...
- Do you speak Spanish? We need...
- Got grit? Teach kids the passion...
- Got grit? Be a Friend Fitness...
- If you are MALE, we NEED you! ...