Position Summary: A social opportunity that mixes recreation with learning. A community based program that provides both mental and physical stimulation for persons with early to mid-stage dementia who are accompanied by their care partners. Minds in Motion focuses on improving physical and cognitive functioning while reducing feelings of isolation by offering recreational activities designed to be socially engaging.
Role Responsibilities / Tasks
- Learn a variety of fitness movements and help lead the class through 60 minutes of physical activity by demonstrating exercises.
- Under the direction of the Recreation Program Leader, provide one-on-one support to participants by adapting fitness movements based on physical and cognitive ability.
- Assist with equipment set up/take down, help prepare healthy refreshments, and prepare the room for new and innovate games
- Promote social interaction and participation by providing positive verbal support and encouragement
- Wipe down fitness equipment after use each class
To get involved, contact Matt Brooks at Volunteer@alzheimerdurham.com
Or visit http://bttr.im/rnrh7 to get signed up.
- Adult Education
- Physical Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Patient Care
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours once a week for 8 weeks.
- This position is also available in Whitby and Oshawa