Help someone manage their diabetes as well as you are...
Become a Volunteer peer mentor!
If you've been successfully managing your diababetes and want to make a difference, why not consider becoming a volunteer Peer Mentor?
The Peer Mentoe helps client:
- Become more aware of their own strengths, skills and knowledge.
- Boost their confidence so they can better manage the disease.
- Set meaningful personal goals to improve how they handle this chronic condition.
Clients who need Peer Mentor support may have trouble accessing community programs or dislike group activities. They may prefer one-on-one mentoring from someone like you.Why? Because you’ve "been there" and better understand the challenges of coping with diabetes including:
- Changes in diet, your body and medications
- Navigating the ins and outs of a complex health care system
- Mourning the loss of physical vitality and a "before-I-had diabetes" lifestyle
What would be my role as a volunteer Peer Mentor?
- Be an empathic listener and act as a sounding board
- Help the client find his/her own answers
- Remain mindfully present
What is VHA looking for in a Peer Mentor? We’d love to talk to you more if you:
- Are 18+ years of age and have been managing your diabetes well for five years or more.
- Are available to work 2-4 hours per week and are willing to attend training.
- Can be a strong client advocate.
- Can work independently but know when to seek guidance.
- People Skills
- Life Coaching
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 2-4 hrs weekly and are willing to attend training
- If you’ve been successfully managing your diabetes, want to make a difference, consider volunteering