Background: Iowa Legal Aid seeks applicants to fill AmeriCorps member positions for its regional offices in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo, subject to funding availability. Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect poor and vulnerable Iowans.
Responsibilities: Individual AmeriCorps members will help with various projects that can include: helping seniors, veterans, and low-income Iowans get legal help; enhancing our unified client intake system; increasing outreach to underserved veteran, minority, disabled and immigrant groups; advancing legal self-help education and financial literacy, helping seniors and people with disabilities get services to live independently, recruiting and managing volunteers; improving volunteer management practices; enhancing Iowa Legal Aid’s website; marketing and public relations activities.
Qualifications: We seek applicants who communicate well with individuals and groups, both verbally and in writing. Applicants should also have some or all of the following:
1. Background working with people who are low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual abuse, from other cultural and/or ethnic backgrounds, and/or have disabilities;
2. Bi-lingual verbal and written communication skills, in one of the languages most used by low-income Iowans, including Spanish, Bosnian, Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and/or ASL;
3. Ability to use computers to organize information, update website, and/or perform research;
4. College or community college;
5. Background in journalism, marketing, teaching, and/or volunteer recruitment/management.
Opening/Closing Date: When filled, with full-time members starting between September 1 - November 30, 2016; part-time members can start between September 1 - February 28, 2017.
Salary/Benefits: Full-time AmeriCorps members receive a modest living stipend ($12,530 for 11 month, full-time term), student loan forbearance, child care benefit, and can receive an education award of $5,775. Half-time, quarter-time, and minimum-time positions are also available. The requirements and benefits for part-time positions are:
Applications: Submit letter of application, including geographic preference, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Gail R. Klearman, Managing Attorney - Iowa Legal Aid
1111 9th Street Suite 230
Des Moines, IA 50314-2527
515-243-1198 ext 1678 or 1-800-532-1503
TTY/Relay Iowa: 1-800-735-2942
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request
Auxiliary aids and services are available in alternative formats
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Depending on position, 15 - 35 hours per week.