Kids in the Kitchen delivers nutrition education and hands-on cooking experience for children of all ages in Paul’s Place after school programs. Approximately forty students per semester participate in cooking classes in four groups- elementary school students, middle school boys, middle school girls, and high school students. Twice a month, these students learn food preparation and healthy cooking skills in the kitchen at Paul’s Place. One week, the students prepare a meal for Supper Club at Paul’s Place, and the other week, students prepare meals to bring home to their families along with recipes for all items. For Thursday classes, Paul’s Place holds Food Leaders classes on the remaining Thursdays in between Supper Club and Bag Week.
Each class is lead by our Kids in the Kitchen Facilitator who is assisted by 3-4 volunteers. We are looking for volunteers to commit to at least one day of the week; 10 days a semester for Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Volunteers will be needed from 4-7 pm, or as needed by the facilitator. They will assist the Facilitator by:
- talking to the students about healthy food, nutrition, and cooking
- guiding the students during hands-on class time
- enforcing safe and proper culinary skills
- maintaining a friendly and respectful classroom environment
- preparing supplies for each day’s lessons
- cleaning up at the end of the day
Thursday’s volunteers will also help teach the Food Leaders class which focuses on teaching elementary-age students about food justice related topics.
Please choose one of the following sets of dates:Mondays: 1/8, 1/22, 2/5, 2/26, 3/5, 3/19, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7, 5/21 Tuesdays: 1/9, 1/23, 2/6, 2/27, 3/6, 3/20, 4/10, 4/24, 5/8, 5/22 Wednesdays: 1/10, 1/24, 2/7, 2/28, 3/7, 3/21, 4/11, 4/25, 5/9, 5/23
- Cooking / Catering
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 days a semester from 4-7pm
- Must be able to come to all 6 sessions (same day of the week-bi-weekly) and one training.