Oakland Youth Aspire (OYA) is a youth resource center open every Saturday 12:30-5pm in West Oakland. Our mission is to enrich the lives of youth by creating a fun and welcoming environment that promotes a healthy lifestyle and fosters open communication, empathy, and the development of interpersonal skills. Our vision is to help youth aspire to live healthy and productive lives, and develop fundamental skills to reach their fullest potential. For more information on the program and its services, please visit www.oaklandyouthaspire.org and Like us on Facebook for weekly posts and updates.
As part of our Saturday program we have a cooking program, in which the older youth help prepare a healthy and nutritious meal for our younger participants and volunteers.
The cooking program has helped take the mystery out of food preparation and the youth are serious about this endeavor. It offers a variety of benefits. First our youth learn tangible skills such as how to use kitchen appliances, how to mix, measure and proportion ingredients and how to create a healthy and nutritious meal. In addition, this experience builds confidence and leadership skills. The students take pride in the food they prepare and realize the rewards in preparing a meal for others.
OYA is looking for a Cooking Program Coordinator to help us implement this program and teach the older youth cooking techniques, introduce them to healthy foods and how to make nutritious meals, and create a fun and rewarding experience for the youth. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prepare healthy lunch menus and grocery shopping for items before program. Budget is $100.
- Teach the youth cooking techniques and show them how to prepare healthy and nutritious meals at the program in our kitchen
- Mentor the youth on good eating habits as part of our Healthy Lifestyle program core value.
- Ensure kitchen and tools are cleaned properly after lunch is served.
- Collaborate with the OYA board on ongoing management of the cooking program, collaborating with our Health and Wellness Director on meal plans, supplies, and program ideas.
- Ideally commit to 2 Saturdays a month, 12:00-3pm.
- Be available for OYA's larger annual events: Back to School event, Thanksgiving meal and holiday party.
- Experience working with at-promise youth a plus
- Kitchen and cooking experience
- Strong communications skills
- Proactive, able to manage a project independently
- Flexible, able to go with the flow, and willing to pitch in and help
- Cooking / Catering
- Teaching / Instruction
- Food Service
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hours per month