VCAS is an open entry, municipal animal shelter serving various cities in Ventura County as well as all unincorporated areas of the County. VCAS currently holds a No-Kill status and has since January 2014. We are looking for passionate, dedicated, self-motivated volunteers to help us continue our mission of keeping Ventura County No-Kill. All volunteer positions are key in our achievement of this worthy mission, and for maintaining it as well.
Callaway Cats Animal Care Volunteers work directly with shelter staff and other volunteers to enrich the lives of our shelter cats, help to get our cats adopted into well-matched homes, and ensure the day-to-day shelter operation & animal care is achieved at the highest possible standard of care.
Callaway Cats Volunteers:
- Provide basic care for shelter cats: fluff & clean kennels, maintain free roaming cat room (Kitty Cottage), groom and socialize cats, etc
- Provide enrichment for shelter cats
- Participate at onsite and offsite community outreach events to help raise awareness for our shelter cats and other important cat programs
- Help promote adoptable cats using social media, canvassing fliers, speaking to public
- Help with offsite cat adoption locations - check on cats, pick up paperwork, transport, put together cat packets, etc
- Foster neonatal and underage kittens until ready for spay/neuter and adoption
- Community Outreach - Trap/Neuter/Release of feral cats to alleviate cat overpopulation, Pet Pantry, Canvassing fliers, pet promotion, etc
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Must love Cats!
- Be 18 years or older, or accompanied by a legal guardian at all times if under 18
- Must be able to comfortably lift 45lbs, bend, twist, and kneel
- Able to stand for extended periods of time (Shifts are a minimum of 2 hours)
- Be able to commit to at least one, scheduled, 2-hour shift per week
- Attendance at mandatory on-site training
- Must agree to check email regularly and read all emails from Volunteer Manager
- Ability to follow rules and adapt to fast changing environment
- Patient and positive attitude at all times! We have a YES culture!
All VCAS volunteers receive specialized training, mentoring and support!
To find out more, or fill out an application visit us online at www.vcas.us/volunteer
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Verbal / Written Communication
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 hours per week for 6 months
- Youth under the age of 18, MUST be accompanied by a parent who is also a volunteer.