Catholic Charities is seeking committed volunteers to serve as mentors for the Shelter and Housing Mentoring program for homeless families and individuals.
This seven-month program serves families leaving the Family Support Center to complete their transition to independent living, families who have already found affordable housing, and residents of The Palms Inn permanent supportive housing program. Each client that participates is matched with a trained mentor who offers emotional support, advice on life-skills, and a link to the wider community by identifying and locating community resources. Mentors are supported by the Mentoring Coordinator, who provides guidance to mentors, helps clients and mentors connect with community resources, and provides monthly support sessions for continuing training and self-care.
The schedule and format of mentoring is flexible. Catholic Charities values a diversity of people, personalities and backgrounds. The program has been developed for people with other commitments, including family, careers and other volunteer service.
A mentor will:
- Recognize and appreciate a mentee’s strengths
- Define and set goals and action steps
- Offer emotional support and assistance with life skills
- Meet with a mentee at least once a month and communicate at least once a week-either by phone, text, email or in person-- to track progress, answer questions, or address problems;
- Encourage family members to take action toward their goals
- Serve as a bridge to Catholic Charities services
- Provide a link to the larger community by identifying and locating community resources.
- Keep confidentiality at all times.
- Celebrate each achievement along the way.
Catholic Charities is seeking empathetic candidates with strong communication skills, who can make a commitment of at least seven months. Qualified candidates are good listeners who are approachable, patient, understanding and able to manage expectations.
Catholic Charities considers this position to be a mandated reporter of elder and child abuse.
For more information, contact Dan Madden, Mentoring Coordinator: 707-791-5296, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 7 months minimum
- To be spoken with upon interview. If you have any questions, follow up with Dan Madden.
- After Care Mentor Volunteer
- Donation Sorter
- Karaoke Group at Homeless Shelter
- Computer Lab Volunteers
- Be a resource to your community...
- Immigration Department Office...
- Yoga Instructor
- Front Desk Receptionist for...
- Chef for Homeless Shelters
- Volunteer Fitness Instructors...
- Welcome Desk Volunteer
- Bingo Group at Homeless Shelter
- Thanksgiving Volunteer
- Lead a fun and Active Zumba...
- Lead a Fun and Active Workshop...
- ESL Volunteer
- Hairstylist for Homeless Shelters
- Alzheimer’s Respite Day Care...