JVS's "English for Employment" classes in East Boston are offered to refugees and immigrants whose goal is to find employment. In addition to English classes, clients receive career coaching including job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation.
Help teach vocational English class for immigrants and refugees. Topics include improving English and communication skills to obtain employment, job search and job retention techniques, orientation to the American workplace, financial literacy and life skills. Assist students in completing in-class tasks, including computer work and group activities, as well as assist with job searches, resume development and interview prep.
- Related experience is welcome, but training will be provided.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Commitment to learning techniques for providing effective services to support job outcomes for refugees and immigrants.
- English proficiency is required; must be able to take written instruction and read online applications.
- Ability to speak other languages not required but welcome.
- Ability to work as part of a team with staff and other volunteers/interns.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Empathy for the challenges of learning a new culture and a new language.
Classes are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:00am-12:00pm. Volunteers may choose one or more classes to assist.
5-minute walk from the Maverick stop on the Blue line.
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week minimum, 3 month duration minimum