The South Florida Collections Management Center (SFCMC), located in Everglades National Park, is seeking volunteers to work with the center’s archives and museum collections. The center manages resource management collections generated by the five South Florida National Parks, including Big Cypress National Preserve, Biscayne National Park, De Soto National Memorial, Dry Tortugas National Park and Everglades National Park. The SFCMC has more than 3.6 million archival records dating from 1897-2013 in its holdings!
Individuals are not required to have any previous experience working with archive and museum collections. However, volunteers must demonstrate an interest in the subject matter and be willing to learn about this exciting field!
Looking for individuals who can commit to a schedule of at least one day/week. However, this position may accomodate small groups and other short-term volunteers. Please contact for more information. Hours and scheduling are flexible based upon the volunteer's availability, but are conducted during weekdays (Monday-Friday) between 9am-4pm.
Volunteers carry out projects and duties that have a direct impact on the management of the South Florida parks’ museum and archives collections. Tasks will vary based upon the supervisor's workload but may include the following:
- Survey incoming archival collections
- Catalog collections
- Work with primary text documents (photographs, maps, audio visual materials, textual records)
- Assist researchers with finding answers to their questions
- Conduct archives preservation tasks (house documents, label records folders, remove metal fasters, identify serious conservation concerns)
- Assist with reference services
- Assist with preparations for hurricane season
- Prepare and organize supplies for specific projects
- Work closely with archivist to complete other tasks
- Assist with the development of a Cultural Resources website
- Basic Computer Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Once/week or more, dates flexible