The Family Mentor program provides a CASA volunteer for the child and a separate Family Mentor volunteer for parents whose children are in the foster care system or at risk of entering the system. The Family Mentor visits the home of the parent each week and helps the parent develop a variety of life skills surrounding health, nutrition, budgeting, organization, home care, education, career and job search, to name but a few areas.
The minimum commitment for a Family Mentor case with a parent is 90 days. After the initial 90 days both volunteer and parent can reassess to see if they want to renew. Our program provides all of the necessary training to work effectively with the parent.
The goals of the Family Mentor program are:
- To prevent the child from entering or re-entering the child welfare system.
- To help the parent(s) become more independent and self-sufficient.
- To end the cycle of child welfare involvement in these families for the next generation.
- Child Welfare
- Life Coaching
- Case Work / Management
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Family Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly to Monthly Visits with your Assigned Mentee
- Background Check, 13 Hours of Training